France - Coverage - History

13.03.2019

As of December 2018, population coverage in France stands at 21.3%.

Following the launches in Strasbourg and Lyon in December 2018, DAB+ is expected to launch in over 15 cities in 2019, including Toulouse, Bordeaux, Bayonne, Pau, La Rochelle, Dijon, Besançon, Grenoble, Saint-Étienne, Annecy, Chambéry, Annemasse, Toulon, Avignon, Tours, Orléans and Poitiers.

DAB+ has hit the ground running in France and it is expected that by 2020, 70% of the French territory will be covered by DAB+. Calls for applications for the remaining 30 percent will also be launched in 2020, with launches planned for 2023.

06.02.2019

As of 19.12.2018, population coverage across the country stands at 21.3%.
Following the launches in Strasbourg and Lyon in December 2018, DAB+ is expected to launch in over 15 cities in 2019, including Toulouse, Bordeaux, Bayonne, Pau, La Rochelle, Dijon, Besançon, Grenoble, Saint-Étienne, Annecy, Chambéry, Annemasse, Toulon, Avignon, Tours, Orléans and Poitiers.

Despite the relatively slow start it first experienced, DAB+ has hit the ground running in France and it is expected that by 2020, 70% of the French territory will be covered by DAB+. Calls for applications for the remaining 30 percent will also be launched in 2020, with launches planned for 2023.

02.10.2018

The network operator (TDF) produced comprehensive coverage plans in 2009 ready for the start of national and regional services. One of the benefits of digital radio to French listeners, as pointed out by the CSA, is that it will allow greater coverage and more stations in many areas. This is important to the CSA who have a remit to provide the best possible service including coverage to the widest possible audience.

Combining the Marseille, Nice and Paris commercial services, nearly 20% of the population have access to a digital radio service. The CSA has the responsibility to take notice when the 20% threshold is achieved; this 20% population coverage would trigger the mandatory inclusion of digital radio in all receivers sold in France after a period which varies depending on the type of receiver. By 2020, 70% of the French population will be able to receive DAB+ digital radio.