Radio's Digital Leap: World's First FM Switch-off, Bodo, Norway
Date: 10th - 11th January 2017
Location: Bodo, Norway
Yes, its time for The Worlds First FM Switch off.
Throughout 2017 Norwegian radio turns digital only. As the first region switches off FM the 11th of January, all eyes and ears turns to the arctic city of Bodø.
On Tuesday the 10th, Radio.no and Digitalradio Norge are hosting a 2,5-hour conference packed with short, trimmed and to-the-point presentations. If you are not joining us in Bodø you can watch our web broadcast to get the the story of the Norwegian digitization of radio and the status of digital radio and DAB around the world.
The 11th @ 11:11:11 we move to digital only as FM transmitions for Nordland shuts down. The official switchover event will take place at the Stormen Library.
Tuesday 10th January
15:00 Part 1: Yes, it’s really happening.
- The Norwegian journey to digital radio. Ole Jørgen Torvmark, Digital Radio Norway; Hans Petter Danielsen, P4; Øyvind Vasaasen, NRK.
- Views from the regulator, The Norwegian Media Authority.
- Broadcasters Bauer, P4 and NRK on their actions to move listeners to digital.
- Securing the business and adverisers. Birgitte Løvaas, P4.
- Thoughts from the car industry by Møller (Audi & Volkswagen)
- Coverage vs. Reception. Petter Hox, NRK.
- Informing, educating and engaging the public. Tommy Gaustad, Digital Radio Norway.
- The reach of radio and how it will continue, TNS Kantar, Knut Arne FutsætherSome of the presentations above will be held in Norwegian. They will be translated simultaneously to English.
16:15 Part 2: But no other countries go DAB. Or do they?
(Moderated by Gunnar Garfors, NRK and IDAG)
- Why DAB in…
Why DAB in the UK. Ford Ennals, DRUK.
Waarom DAB in het Nederland. Jaqueline Bierhorst, Digital Radio Netherlands
Pourquoi DAB en France. Matthieu Beauval, Radio France
Why DAB “Down Under”. Joan Warner, Commercial Radio Australia.
- Device wise.
Why DAB reception still is an issue in cars and mobiles. Ronald Haanstra, IDAG; Harald Kristiansen, TT Micro; Jasper Wybrants
- The next country to switch off FM is…
Switzerland is next in line for a digital switchover. How and when?
Niklaus Kühne, Head of Technical Communications, Swiss National Broadcasting Corp.
René Wehrlin, Federal Office of Communication, OFCOM Switzerland.
- And let us not forget these countries.
What about DAB in big Germany and in little Scandinavia (Denmark & Sweden)?
17:15 Wrap up and questions to all the speakers.
Wedensday 11th January
10:00 Official switchover event starts at Stormen Library. A webcast of the event will be broadcasted at our website radio.no
11:11:11 The worlds first FM switch off
11:30 – 13:00 Light lunch and press interviews. All speakers and representatives for the broadcasters are available for the press.
Please note that programme changes may occur. Any questions with regards to the conference? Please get in touch with our event organizer, Tommy Gaustad – firstname.lastname@example.org